Monday, September 22, 2014

Part 2.5 Buying a corset / Seasoning





This is the continuation of Part 1 & Part 2 of the basics, a series that will include a list of what you'll need in order to decide if you'll be able to adapt Waist training into your lifestyle, the buying and seasoning process, and tips that may help once you are training.


On the last post I mentioned what you'll need to buy in order to start your training, as well as the difference between OTR and Custom made corsets, in today's post I am going to describe the different silhouettes ( another important selection you need to make before buying your corset) and the seasoning process which starts as soon as you try on your corset for the first time and can last up to two weeks depending on the fabric of the corset.





Different Silhouettes


2.5 Silhouette

There have been many different silhouettes since the 1800's,

I'll focus on four of the most commonly used in modern times :

Tube/ Barrel (Not curvy)



Tube/ Barrel corset

Mostly recommeded for men, or anyone who wants a corset for support, this type of corset can keep your back very straight, but it is very difficult to fit in this type of corsets if you have natural curves

Gentle Hourglass (Natural curve)


this is me! :)

This is a feminine and natural shape, and it is suitable for people with little or no training. man and women can use this type of corset, which offers better back support and a higher level of comfort.

This is a great silhouette for beginners and probably the curviest you can find OTR, the next silhouettes can only be obtained using custom made corsets.

Hourglass (Very curvy)



Hourglass

This is the look we all have seen in old Hollywood movies, this type of corset won't go unnoticed, it is very curvy and makes you look extra curvy, focusing all the attention on the
waist.

This can be a great silhouette for you if you have a naturally curvy figure, or if you are very squishy.

Wasp Waist (Extreme curve)


The amazing Fakir Musafar


This is an impressive level of reduction (and body modification), only obtainable after training intensively. This type of corset should be used by experienced corset wearers.

Even for them it is a process that took years of dedication , and many custom made corsets to get to this point.

NOTE: None of this silhouettes is better than the others, it's just a matter of purpose, fit,
and of course personal preference.

2.6 Seasoning 

Once you finally get your corset its time to try it on, the first thing we all want to do is tighten those laces and look amazing, but one must be careful not to damage the corset since it has never been worn before , (unless is a previously owned corset) and the fabric and bones need to adapt to the stress of tighlacing.

You should be able to tighten your corset just enough so you can see if it fits,but not so tight that it is almost closed, if it is, you got a size too small. 

If the gap is bigger than the modesty panel, or (in case you don't have a modesty panel) if it is as big as a sheet of paper, it is probably too small for you





History of the corset
Again this depends on personal preference, for example, my friend Claudia tried both a 24" and a 22" corset, the gap on the 24" was less than an inch, but she said she liked that one better than the 22" because it was really comfortable.

On the other hand, I recently closed my 22" and it made me feel  bad that it did not compress me, I felt as if I wasn't training anymore. So I bought a size 20" and that size is more comfortable for me.




If you are happy with the fit of the corset, it is time to start seasoning.


Erin's picture form The tighlacing society
The Seasoning process will help you, and the corset to adapt to each other. 
You'll begin to get used to the tightness slowly , and this will allow you to learn how much reduction is comfortable for you, which is usually not much at the beginning.If you try to get your corset too tight you might hurt yourself, or give up on corseting because of the discomfort caused by the sudden pressure, so it is very important that you get used to it very slowly.

It will also allow the fabrics of the corset to stretch without putting too much pressure on them, the bones will mold to your body (slightly) always keeping their intended shape thanks to the pattern. And this will extend the life of the corset.

It is reccomended that you start wearing your sorset for one to two hours , wearing it snug but not over tight.
 I ussually can fit a hand under the hip and underbust area the first day, but the waist feels compresed already.

Lucy explains in one of her videos that you can make the process a little faster if you season twice a day, for example in the morning and in the evening.  That's what I ussually do, because I am very impatient
I tighten the corset a little more after half an hour, wait two hours at most. and then take my corset off and hang it by the laces.

I repeat this a few hours before going to sleep. Seasoning a cotton corset takes about  1 week and a half using this method.

Different fabrics need different seasoning, My Mesh corset was fully seasoned in less than a week, and I started wearing it pretty tight after tree weeks now it's almost closed.
 I've heard leather gets seasoned very fast too.
There are a few things that will let you know if your corset is seasoned, as the days pass you will be able to put it on more easily, it will hold it's shape when you take it off and 
 the flare at the top and bottom will be reduced, this is a picture of my first corset when it was still not seasoned:

I tried to wear it as tight as possible (not recommended) for the picture, because I wanted to ask Lucy if it was ever going to fit.

--Poor Lucy I sent her lots of emails when I started waist training but she was always super kind and helpful! I'd probably would not have succeeded in this journey if it wasn't for her .  Thanks Lucy for  being so nice and willing to share your knowledge! :) all the community loves you--

As the days went by the corset eventually fitted, it started to lay flat against my underbust area, and as I continued to tighten it , it became almost impossible to notice it under clothes , I always stealth as some of you may know. So this was very important for me.

I hope you find this information helpful !

We are making a new fb group dedicated to waist training, so if you are interested you can find it here 

Have a nice day.



















No comments:

Meet the blogger

My photo
North, Mexico
My name is Mai, I am 26 y/o I've been Waist training since 2013 and I'd like to share my results, tips and experience.

Blog Archive